Tuscan White Bean Soup
A hearty, one-pot soup packed with protein and flavor.
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 3 shallots, chopped
• 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 large carrot, chopped
• 1 large celery stalk, chopped
• 2 15.5 oz cans cannellini (white) beans
• ½ tsp rosemary
• 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or try
thyme or oregano)
• 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
• 1 liter (4 cups) chicken broth (can
substitute vegetable broth)
• 2 cups spinach or kale, stems
removed and chopped
• salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot then add the shallots and a pinch of salt letting cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans, herbs, chili flakes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes.
- Optional step: Transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth. Add back to the soup and mix together.
- Add the spinach or kale to the soup and stir until wilted.
Serve this soup with a salad or crusty bread.